summer

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

South Carolina Make and Take Music and Art Training!

As I've already said, and will probably continue to say, music is my passion. My undergraduate degree was in music education and for a long time I thought I would spend the rest of my days being a middle school band director. Fortunately, life had other plans for me. I found the special needs community and when I took my first job teaching resource room I never looked back.

One of the many benefits that have come from working at The Therapy Place is collaborating with amazing professionals who have already taught me so much in the one year that I have been working here. One of them is Dr. Carol Page who is the director of the South Carolina Assistive Technology Program. She has given so much of her time and talent to The Therapy Place and the Bridges program. When I have a vision, she helps make it a reality. She has been hugely instrumental in all of the AT (assistive technology) that we have implemented in Bridges. I am so grateful to have her expertise actively involved in the program.

Last fall, Dr. Page, my good friend and Kindermusic director, Alison Trotter, and I led a Make and Take training on incorporating music with children with special needs. The training was attended by early interventionists, occupational therapists, and teachers. We talked about how easy and inexpensive it is to incorporate music and how beneficial it is to the children. It was so much fun!




This fall, I am honored to be a part of this training again. Teaching others on the benefits of music for children with special needs continues to be personal mission of mine, and I'm so lucky to have the opportunity.

Check out this article on the Make and Take training!


No comments:

Post a Comment